Maintaining Your Air Conditioner
An air conditioner's filters, coils, and fins require regular maintenance for the unit to function effectively and efficiently throughout its years of service. Neglecting necessary maintenance causes a steady decline in air conditioning performance while energy use steadily increases.
- Air Conditioner Filters
- Air Conditioner Filters. The most important maintenance task that will ensure the efficiency of your air conditioner is to routinely replace or clean its filters. Clogged, dirty filters block normal airflow and reduce a system's efficiency significantly. Replacing a dirty, clogged filter with a clean one can lower your air conditioner's energy consumption by 5% to 15%. Clean or replace your air conditioning system's filter or filters every month or two during the cooling season. Filters may need more frequent attention if the air conditioner is in constant use, is subjected to dusty conditions, or you have fur-bearing pets in the house. Ask your Ramnor Air Conditioning Specialist for information about the type and maintenance of your A/C filters.
- Window Seals for Room Air Conditioners
- At the start of each cooling season, inspect the seal between the air conditioner and the window frame to ensure it makes contact with the unit's metal case. Moisture can damage this seal, allowing cool air to escape from your house.
- Preparing for Winter
- In the winter, either cover your room air conditioner or remove and store it. Covering the outdoor unit of a central air conditioner will protect the unit from winter weather and debris.
- Hiring a Professional
- When your air conditioner needs maintenance, hire a Ramnor service technician. Our well-trained technicians will find and fix problems in your air conditioning system.